Saturday, August 05, 2006

You Take the Good, You Take the Bad

It's official. I am moving to State College, Pennsylvania. Soon. I put my resignation in at work early this week, and I will be unemployed as of August 30, 2006. I'm stressed. Eh, who am I kidding? I'm perpetually stressed. So I guess this could be categorized as extra stressed. I have sent out a few resumes, so I feel slightly accomplished, anyway. I am hoping for a cozy office bitch position with a few nights/weekends of waitressing or bartending thrown into the mix. Eh, in all honesty, I'm truly hoping to win the lottery. The Powerball is creeping up there. If all else fails, I will set up an appointment and start donating plasma for cash, despite the fact that it totally skeeves me out to do something seemingly charitable while masking my ulterior motives.

I feel slightly guilty about leaving my job. This is probably because I usually feel guilty about anything and everything that happens, whether or not I am a significant player in the action. I suspect I am the type of person that it would be ridiculously easy to manipulate into making a false confession. If anyone around me ever winds up dead, I will arrive at the questioning place with a lawyer in tow. But, realistically speaking, this is the first time I've ever had to quit a job. With every other position I've held, it has been for some fixed period of time. So leaving has always happened on extremely amicable terms. This is a job that I (presumably) could have kept for as long as I wanted it. And I do like the work enough and feel comfortable there. Unfortunately for me, becoming comfortable is dangerous. I need to push myself to discover what I am skilled in, what I am capable of accomplishing, and what I truly enjoy. Obviously, moving to a much bigger area where the local paper boasts more than 5 help wanted ads per week is a decent starting point. I hate applying for jobs and interviewing. I despise starting new jobs and fumbling around like a nervous, socially inept idiot. But I do feel better prepared for the process at this point in my life than I ever had previously.

What I am excited about (in no particular order):
  1. Moving out of my parents' living room.
  2. Having my own bedroom.
  3. Having my own bathroom!
  4. Free tanning.
  5. Free (kind of crappy, but still) gym access.
  6. Not having to drive an hour to shop.
  7. Potentially making enough money to actually be able to shop.
  8. Many more pizza places to choose from.
  9. Many more bars to frequent.
  10. The possibility of befriending new people.
  11. The possibility of befriending new love interests. Haha.
  12. The possibility of starting graduate school in the not so ridiculously distant future.
  13. Visitors!
  14. The potential emergence of something resembling a social life.
  15. Fun times with my litte sister.

What I am not so excited about (in no particular order):

  1. Packing.
  2. Abandoning my health benefits.
  3. Paying rent/utilities.
  4. Needing a cell phone.
  5. Using my old, crappy computer. If it still works.
  6. Living in a place that caters to college students, simply because I feel kind of like a loser.
  7. Relying on my alarm clock to wake me up. Parents are currently a good back-up.
  8. Relying on my piece of crap car to actually stay in working order. (That is, once I get it back in working order in the first place.)
  9. Surrounding myself with professed haters of feminism and sympathizers of the plight of the white man. (Who, I'm sure, are all very nice and fun people otherwise.)
  10. No more inside smoking.
  11. Developing an entirely new daily routine.
  12. More stressful driving situations.
  13. Living even further away from all of my friends in upstate New York/New England.
  14. Unpacking.
  15. Buying my own toilet paper and laundry detergent, etc.

All in all, I think this is a positive step forward. We'll see how it progresses. Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Sara said...

Hey Maggie! Thanks for the advice. PSU work is exactly what I'm hoping for. I am hoping that one of their gazillion offices will like my resume enough to employ me.

Of course, I'd love to move to Virginia because:
A) You and Amy are fun.
B) It's warm.
C) It's for lovers, obviously.

Unfortunately, I've signed a lease, so it looks like 2 hours is as far south as I'm heading at the moment. Maybe in the future, though.